Look, this isn’t always easy.
There are times when the appeal of a cold beer is pretty strong. Sometimes it’s because I’m angry. Sometimes it’s because I’m bored. Sometimes it’s because the sun is shining and its 70° F. Sometimes, it’s because it’s Tuesday…
When the urge strikes, I find that it’s good to remind myself why I got sober. I find that it’s good to look back on some older posts reminding myself of just where I was. And sometimes, that’s enough to set the mind on the right path.
Sometimes, I have to remind myself of all the good things that have happened as a result of getting sober.
- Freedom from Shame.
- Learning to accept things as they are, some of the time.
- Reconnecting with people who I care about.
And sometimes, I need to remind myself that there are some really good valid reasons to keep at it.
- My health is improving – In fact, it’s improved dramatically, my cholesterol and blood pressure are both down and my triglycerides dropped significantly (cut in half).
- I feel better most days.
- I’ve lost weight (not as much as I’d like, see item 10).
- I sleep soundly. Every. Single. Night.
- I no longer have a pain in my side (right where my liver is, btw).
- I no longer have IBS symptoms on a daily basis.
- I have more money to do things that I want to do – I’m not spending it on booze.
- I’m much more present with my son. (And he notices it!)
- I can actually have a conversation with my wife without it turning into an argument (though that still happens too.)
- I can go to Safeway to buy ice cream at 9:00 PM (because I’m not drunk as a skunk.)
I’m in a much better place than I was a day or two ago. I won’t lie and say that everything is peachy, but it sure ain’t as bad as I felt yesterday morning.